Friday, August 7, 2009

Project Potential: Urban Oasis

It’s really hard to stay within budget or stay away from things you love when you’re into design – whether fashion or interiors. With all the work we’ve been doing on our house and other financial constraints, I’ve been trying to limit purchases to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It’s sad. My purse feels neglected! And for a while, I was doing really well, because I was able to focus on other things. My parents ripped down wallpaper to paint their bedroom so I had a chance to spend THEIR money on THEIR house…so fun!

But…. you must know how hard it is. We’re always looking for that perfect accessory and I think they always show up the week all the bills are due. I always have my projects in mind, even when I say I have no money in the budget. Our yard has ZERO curb appeal so in the back of my mind I’m always thinking of plants, landscaping, and other materials to use in our yard. And early this summer, I saw this trellis at a local store we have called Ocean State Job Lot and it’s been on my mind.



I loved the simple yet “different” design from regular old lattice trellis. I didn’t buy it, thinking of all the other projects vying for my cash…and even asked the boy his thoughts on if it’s easy to make trellis with lattice. He quickly replied that we had enough projects on our hands and he’s so right, so I left it at that. But the Job Lot find kept coming back to me for this little area of our backyard:




Right now it’s sort of where we store anything… it’s this little concrete pad along the fence. But as you can see our neighbor’s house is really super close to the fence… and this is where his wood pile goes in the winter and in the summer it’s where he hangs clothes to dry. It’s kind of funny this summer because he always hangs out clothes and an hour later it pours!

The trellis was sold out at my local store, so a little birdie told me to contact the company to see if it was in stock in any other location. Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing I found out the trellis was in stock at the location right near my work! Needless to say… I broke down one day and bought TWO. I wanted to use four, to cover the two sections of fence, but I’m wondering how it will work with the two… one centered on each section of fence, painted black. I’m thinking of putting hooks on them for flower pots or solar lanterns.

(Pictures from ivillage, www.mastergardenproducts.com,www.edzayas.com/cancelada.htm)

There are so many choices out there and ways to create a prettier space!





And maybe… to offset the look of the two… I will add some large pot gardens. Perennials? Edible gardens? Large evergreens? Here are some ideas for the planters(images from simplyplanter.com, www.landscapeforms.com, www.bevoworks.com, www.ikea.com)....








What do you think? Are the two enough or should I go for four pieces? Have any good ideas for the planters? Leave a comment with your advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment